Preschool for All
After Measure DD’s narrow loss at the ballot box in November 2022–largely because Big Biotech spent $500,000+ to stop us–Peninsula DSA is considering our next steps. South San Francisco preschool teachers, childcare providers, labor organizers, and Measure DD supporters are invited to contact our Steering Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss the campaign and to share ideas re: future efforts to win Preschool for All SSF.
Attend the Community Forum on Child Care (South City)!
SMC Child Care Forum Tuesday, August 29, 6-7:30pm Economic Advancement Center 366 Grand Ave South San Francisco, CA 94080
The San Mateo County Commission on the Status of Women is hosting a community forum on the affordable child care crisis. Measure DD (ECE 4 All SSF) campaign volunteers and supporters will show up to ask the Commission (and the Board of Supervisors) to fully fund high-quality preschool for all. Free dinner and child care available on site.
Preschool for All SSF (Yes on Measure DD)
Peninsula DSA’s Preschool for All working group spent two years organizing for the success of the DSA-endorsed Preschool for All South San Francisco campaign / Yes on Measure DD, which would
- fully fund high-quality preschool to all children aged 2.5 to 5 years old whose families live or work in South City,
- provide a living wage to all early care and education (ECE) workers, and
- pay for it all by levying a modest parcel tax on South City’s largest commercial office properties.
None currently scheduled
Our coalition rallied at South San Francisco’s City Hall on June 3rd to celebrate turning in the 5800+ voter signatures our grassroots volunteers gathered from mid-January through May 2022.
- November 8, 2022 – Despite vicious, well-funded corporate opposition, Measure DD earned 47.21% of the vote in South San Francisco, only 971 votes short of winning universal preschool.
- September 19, 2022 – The 4Cs (Child Care Coordinating Council) of San Mateo County endorses Measure DD! They join South City’s two child care unions, UDW / Child Care Providers United and AFSCME Local 829, in support of Preschool for All South San Francisco.
- August 27, 2022 – Our citizens’ initiative for universal preschool makes the November ballot, kicking off the official campaign for Yes on Measure DD / Preschool for All South San Francisco. Press release
- July 13, 2022 – The County of San Mateo certifies that our citizens’ initiative for universal preschool in SSF meets the required number of voter signatures to qualify for the November 2022 ballot in South City. Press release
- June 3, 2022 – The campaign submits all petitions (5800+ voter signatures) in support of ECE 4 All SSF to South San Francisco City Hall. Press release
- April 4, 2022 – Democratic Socialists of America endorses the ECE 4 All SSF campaign.
Speaking of which – @DSA_Peninsula is also working on the Early Care and Education for All ballot measure that would provide free preschool and daycare. It would also use a corporate tax to pay early child care workers a living wage w/ access to union representation and benefits. pic.twitter.com/Da3Oa9RIwX— DSA 🌹 (@DemSocialists) April 4, 2022
- January 15, 2022 – The coalition kicks off the signature-gathering phase of the ECE 4 All SSF campaign with a rally at Westborough Park, South San Francisco. Press release
Working Group Co-chairs
Chet and Doniella
Email us at email@example.com
Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!